Parental Leave Planning
Fully Funded Parental Leave Planning is for freelancers and business owners who want to take time off with confidence so they can focus on what really matters.contact us
Hi! I’m Jen
I'm a Brooklyn based mom of two, a financial counselor, a former doula, and I’ve been self-employed my entire adult life. My passion is working with parents and self-employed people to implement financial strategies so they can live with financial confidence, less stress, and meet their lifelong goals.
I've trained with the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education in financial counseling. I help clients with a variety of financial projects anywhere from debt management, to creating monthly financial routines, to building their first $100K in assets.
Together we create an actionable plan, so you can work step by step toward your financial visions. It's my sincere hope that we can all live with strong financial foundations, so we can dedicate our lives fully to the many causes we believe in.
Parental Leave Planning is designed for expecting parents who want to:
- Understand their parental leave options and benefits
- Plan for the financial impact of taking parental leave
- Create a smooth transition plan for work responsibilities and duties
- Prepare for the emotional and practical challenges of parenting
- Explore their career goals and aspirations post-parental leave
How Does It Work?
- First we start by identifying your values and goals as a parent. We believe that successful parental leave planning starts with understanding what’s important to you and your family. We’ll work with you to define your priorities and create a plan that aligns with your values.
- We then want to assess your current situation and needs. We’ll help you understand your parental leave options, including any insurance funds you may be able to opt into, and guide you through the process of calculating the financial impact of taking parental leave. We’ll also help you create a transition plan for work responsibilities, so that you can fully focus on your family during your leave.
- The final step is to create an actionable parental leave plan. We’ll collaborate with you to create a comprehensive plan that covers your short-term and long-term goals, and ensures that you’re prepared for the emotional and practical challenges of parenting. We’ll also help you explore your career goals and aspirations post-parental leave, so that you can return to work with confidence.
Coaching sessions with Jen held over Zoom.
Session notes, resources, and actions steps provided.
Unlimited Voxer access for update, questions and accountability for the package duration.
Parental Leave Planning Coaching...Here’s What’s Included
- Each strategy session includes two, one hour meetings. The first meeting is to review your financials and parental leave goals. The second meeting is to make your plan. Both sessions are held 2 weeks apart, and no longer than 30 days apart
- A customized road map to set up your business for your parental leave
- Creation of actionable steps for you to implement your parental leave
- Session notes, resources, templates, and recommendations
- Voxer support for any questions that might come up for 30 days
- Cost: $1200
Topics We Can Cover
- Navigating Leave Policies: Understanding your options for state family paid leave insurance funds, or disability funds
- Budgeting for Leave: Creating a budget that accounts for your reduced income during parental leave
- Preparing for Baby’s Arrival: Identifying and budgeting for the costs associated with preparing for a new baby
- Return to Work Planning: Developing a plan for returning to work after parental leave, including transitioning back to work and adjusting to the changes in work and home life
- Family Planning: Discussing long-term family planning goals and developing a financial plan to achieve them, such as saving for college or purchasing a home
- Insurance Planning: Evaluating your insurance needs during parental leave and making any necessary changes to ensure your family is protected
- Building Your Support Network: Identifying and building a support network of family, friends, and professionals to help you during parental leave and beyond
what others are saying
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Financial Counselor?
Financial Counselors are trained professionals who educate clients in sound financial principles. We assist clients in the process of overcoming their financial indebtedness, help clients identify and modify ineffective money management behaviors and guide clients in developing successful strategies to achieve their unique financial goals.
- What is your training and background?
I have trained with and I’m in the process of accreditation with the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCPE®). AFCPE® is the nationally recognized leader in financial counseling, coaching and education. Bringing together research, education and practice, they support the profession through comprehensive training, professional development and high-quality resources to help improve the economic well-being of individuals and families worldwide. Additionally I was a Birth Doula for 15 years and supported hundreds of families through the transition into new parenthood. I also own Baby Caravan, a Doula Collective based in NYC that connects doulas and parents together. In addition to my professional experience, I have planned my own personal maternity leaves twice with my children in 2014 and 2018.
- Do you sell any financial products?
Nope! I am a fee-only financial advisor. I don't earn commissions by selling financial products. Clients pay a fee to enlist my services. That way I only work for you, and have your best interest in mind.
- If I have a spouse or partner should they attend the sessions too?
If you’re married or in a partnership it’s often very helpful if both partners can attend the financial counseling sessions. That being said, every partnership is different, so if one spouse wishes to attend, that is okay too. For parental leave planning, often the partner planning a leave is the one who attends sessions. But partners are always welcome!
- Do you offer sliding scale or discounted rates?
For one on one sessions I offer a limited amount of sliding scale sessions per month. If you’re seeking accessible pricing please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How can I find out if my state offers Paid Family Leave?
As you know, currently in the US there is no federally mandated Paid Family Leave or Paid Parental Leave programs. However, a number of states have launched their own Paid Family Leave programs. Please search our directory here to see if your state has a program.